Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Why Working from Home is both Horrid & Superb...



Working from home...I wake up and have my routine...big cup of tea while I sit and let my mind be stimulated from the slumbernes; I read and meditate. OK...I'm semi-awake....time for med's. (wich is a whole crap load for us Lymies)! Then I need to work out, shower and eat food. Ok...by the time I have done all that most of you that are employed at a workplace have been there for 3 or 4 hours working away. This is horrid if you look at productivity...superb is if you look at flexibility and the fact that I am fighting Lyme disease...the flexibility is wonderful. I could post about the daily routine of Lyme treatment in itself...it requires flexibility.
So, I'm ready to go for the day...Now, if your very driven and motivated you would have a plan for the day of what projects to tackle. Here's the horrid part for me...I'm not always driven. I'm a feeler who says "what do I feel like doing today? Should I design, create, take photos, up-load to Etsy?" Then there are the days when I do none of that, granted my income from the business is not the bread & butter money...but maybe I should start treating it that way? Thats a great thought!
Working from home for an artist can be a dangerous thing altogether! If all I had to do was create to have a successful business, I would be quite successful. However there are a million other things to tackle...this is where it gets dangerous and can make or break it for you. There's marketing, promoting, networking, financial aspects, getting new fresh material out there and available, designing, shipping orders, searching and applying for art shows, etc.
No body told me that you need a personal assistant for this job! What the heck!
I love what I do though and thats more than most people can say. I'm so thankful that I get to do this. However I've been re-ordering how I manage this business the last few days and I have a huge list to tackle:
1..Clean & Organize my studio
2..Label & Price inventory for Seabreeze (consignment store)
3..Work on blog
4..photograpy shoot
5..Add new inventory to Etsy store
6..work on getting ready for up-coming art show
7..Design new business cards/packaging
8..Get on consignment in more stores.

Today...I'm taking my Studio on with force!
So, for all you artists who get the priveledge to work from home, whats your strategies for keeping things running? I'd love to hear from you?


A perfect quote to describe my artist life
::: Alice Neel ::: pioneer great american 20th century painter said...

"When I work, I work very fast, but preparing to work can take any length of time."

5 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job, I'll be your personal assistant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your an amazing women & artist! And that is exactly what it take to be soooooo very good at balancing life! Your jewelry is beautiful, & you are an excellent writer. You're blogs are heartfelt & entraining. Can't wait to read the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am stopping by from the SITS Cocktail Party! Working from home sounds like it is working so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working in sweats and not having to do your hair could be a bonus, but being disciplined would be a real challenge.

    ReplyDelete